- 2 large red or yellow bell peppers
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3 1/2-4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika (hot, sweet or smoked)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups short-grained brown rice or wild rice
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise
- 1 head garlic (6 - 8 segments)
- 5 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup low fat greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place whole bell peppers on a baking sheet with olive oil and roast, turning every 5 minutes, until the skin is blistered on all sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl, cover and let steam until the skins are loosened, 10 minutes. Uncover; when cool enough to handle, remove the skins. Discard stems, seeds and ribs; dice the peppers into small pieces.
To roast garlic for Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise: Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Place the head of garlic on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and wrap into a package. Roast directly on the oven rack until the cloves are soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
Bring broth (or water) to a simmer in a saucepan: 3 1/2 cups for brown rice
Use a casserol dish that can be used on the stove or pot .Heat and add oil. Add the diced peppers, the corn, onion, thyme, bay leaf, cloves. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are seared, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add minced garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Add paprika, tomato paste and rice; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more. Stir in simmering broth (or water). Bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven.
Bake until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender: 40 to 50 minutes for brown rice. Let the rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
To prepare Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise: Squeeze the roasted garlic (Step 2) into a blender or food processor. Add the remaining 4 1/2 teaspoons oil, yoghurt, lemon juice, paprika, salt and cayenne. Puree until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice, if necessary. Transfer to a small bowl.
Remove the bay leaf and cloves from the rice. Garnish with parsley; serve with the garlic mayonnaise.
Per serving : 15 mg Cholesterol; 7 g Fiber