The idea of this calculator is not to give you an exact measurement of what your choleterol risk levels are but to give you an indication of what your chances are of having a heart attack or some sort of heart problems in the next 10 years. So please bare in mind that this cholesterol risk calculator is not to be taken as the spoken word but should you be concerned, please contact your doctor.
The online risk calculator will calculate your risk of developing a major coronary event (e.g. a heart attack) in the next 10 years. It is advisable to have your risk checked again by your doctor.
Before you use the calculator, you need to know what your numbers are for your HDL-cholesterol, Total-cholesterol and your Blood Pressure.
What does my cholesterol risk mean?
- The percentage calculated (as per the risk calculator) is an indication of your chance of developing a major coronary event (e.g. heart attack) in the next 10 years.
- Please take note that adherence to lifestyle changes with/without medication can lower your risk (i.e. chances of having a heart attack).
- Your LDL-cholesterol (bad cholesterol) is the major contributing factor to your risk for developing heart disease.
- Lowering your LDL-cholesterol is the main aim of treatment if you have high cholesterol.
- This is why it is important to lower your LDL-cholesterol to a specific goal based on your percentage risk: