If your cholesterol levels remain high despite the abovementioned lifestyle changes, your doctor may prescribe cholesterol medicine to get your cholesterol levels to goal. It may depress you to think that you need to take this medicine for the rest of your life.
If this is the case, keep in mind that cholesterol medicines are very effective at lowering cholesterol levels and keeping cholesterol levels in check. By taking cholesterol medication your risk for heart disease or a heart attack will be reduced and that is something worth smiling about! Stay positive about life.
It is very important to take your cholesterol lowering medicine every day, as prescribed by your doctor. This will help to lower your cholesterol levels to goal. Here are a few do's and don'ts when taking cholesterol lowering medicine:
- DON'T skip a day & make sure you take your medicine every day, as prescribed by your doctor
- DON'T stop your medicine without consulting with your doctor first
- DON'T stop your medicine once your cholesterol levels are at goal & this will result in your levels going up again, as will your risk for heart disease
- DON'T stop living healthily, eating properly and exercising regularly
- DO tell your doctor if you experience any side effects