Tips to avoid fluid weight gain
By avoiding high-sodium food and sources of hidden fluids, you are less likely to gain too much fluid weight between dialysis treatments.
Fluid (moisture content) of solid foods
Apple, orange, banana, carrots, beans, squash (gem/Hubbard) tomato (medium portion) = 90 ml Watermelon (1 slice) = 180 ml Porridge (1/2 cup) = 75 ml
- Avoid salty and spicy foods.
- Divide your fluid allowance evenly throughout the day.
- Suck ice-cubes (one ice-cube = 30 ml water), cold sliced fruit, lemon wedges, sour hard-boiled sweets (for non-diabetics)
- Chew chewing gum.
- Rinse your mouth with mouth wash (do not swallow)
- Add a few lemons drops to drinking water or ice-cubes.
- Drink very cold liquids.
- Use small cups and glasses instead of large ones.
- Take medication with meals; a pill can be swallowed using porridge.
- Avoid getting too hot. Cool off by having a cool shower or bath.
- Avoid hyperglycaemia (a high blood sugar), as a symptom is thirst and can cause an increase in fluid intake.
Forti juice as meal replacement:
1 Forti juice = 200ml fluid, 30g Protein, 1 starch, 1 fruit and 1 vegetable in your diet.
Cocoa powder, atchar, Bovril, mustard, fray bentos, marmite, oxo cubes, curry powder.
Meat and chicken stock cubes.
Commercial salad dressings and sauces, e.g.: Bisto, tomato, chilli, soya, barbeque sauces, chutney, fish paste.
Spice blend containing salt or monosodium glutamate (Aromat, Maggie Fondor, Vegetable salt, garlic, onion, celery salt)
Making tasty meals without salt (try the following):
Beef: Bay leaf, dry mustard powder, green pepper, marjoram, Fresh mushrooms, nutmeg, onions, pepper, sage, thyme, garlic.
Chicken: Green pepper, lemon juice, orange, marjoram, fresh mushrooms, garlic, parsley, paprika, sage, thyme.
Fish: Bay leaf, dry mustard powder, green pepper, lemon juice, Marjoram, fresh mushrooms, paprika, oregano.
Lamb: Garlic, mint, rosemary.
Pork: Apple, applesauce, garlic, onion, sage, rosemary, marjoram
Veal: Bay leaf, ginger, marjoram, oregano.